The Portage Shelter North is now open (the first shelter as you drive into the clubhouse.)
A few new things to know about:
- There is a flat shovel by the podium by the clubhouse, PLEASE use it to clean out your firepits AND return it for others to use. Together we can get all the firepits dug out and functioning. Your assistance is appreciated in this.
- Bring your chainsaw and feel free to cut up the downed wood and use for campfires free of charge. (You will be helping the club ~thankyou.
- If you get stuck and need to be pulled out of low lying areas, fire pits, etc, there will be a minimum charge of $100 and maybe more depending on what it takes to get you out. There may also be charges for restoring the grounds. Payment will be due before being pulled out.
- RECYCLABLES – take them home with you. Do NOT put them by the dumpster. If you don’t want to take them home drive them to the recycling center below (with map). It is 2.6 miles from the campground.
Next Annual Members Meeting is Saturday, June 1st; 7 PM at the Clubhouse. The workday portion of the day is canceled until we can get more members/ community members to commit to working as a group vs a few individuals to help restore the club.
Recycling goes to the recycling center off of Y on LF. It is free, open 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. Vernon Co. Recycling center (map here) is 2.6 miles from the Campground. Trash at the Campground is for campers/ cabin members only. No matter what you’ve been told in the past. Please respect this as it saves the club funds.
Consider cans vs bottles for camping (YES, good beer is available in cans also!)
Current areas of need :
- Riding lawn mower. If you have one you are willing to donate please email email@example.com
- Professionals who can work with permitting/zoning/DNR within a flood zone to help repair grounds after flooding or who have specialized skills and are willing to donate their time and expertise. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Travel Trailer or Tiny Home, (anything on wheels) 18+ feet to temporarily replace the little blue cabin as a small rental option for people who aren’t set up for camping.
- If you want to help by organizing – A CleanUP or Workday / A fundraiser for the club, Other ideas, please email email@example.com
Please consider donating to the WFSC as every penny goes directly to rebuilding the campground. The 5 Board Members are working tirelessly to repair the Club for its Members. Donations can be made by PayPal ( please add 3% for their fees) at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mailing a check to West Fork Sportsmans Club Inc., P.O. Box 52, Viroqua, WI 54665
2018 Membership meeting highlights:
-Vernon County zoning has inspected the club and green-lighted some structural improvement work.
-There is a new online cabin & Clubhouse (input 20 people to get clubhouse to come up) reservation system.
-We have adopted a stream restoration plan and dedicated $5000 to it for each of the next 3 years. We will be seeking the remaining funding of $12,500 from members, Trout Unlimited partners, and other Environmental Partnerships. UPDATE: the plan needs to be adapted because of the flooding and upstream actions but is still in the works and the club intends to keep its commitment to placing $5000 in the stream restoration fund for 3 years.
First Come First Serve for ALL camping sites. All reservations scheduled before April 1 will be honored. After April 1 we will not be taking reservations for specific spots. EACH spot numbered is a GROUP camping space so you can pitch your tent anywhere and it will be fine.
Large groups (15 or more) should schedule before April 1 of each year and identify the section of the campground for their camping needs. Use the online contact below to make requests. Requests do not mean reservations are complete. A confirmation email will be sent confirming availability. The WFSC reserves the right to cancel ANY reservation when weather events prevent use of parts or all of the campground. For group reservations each April a sign will be posted at the South and Portage Shelters indicating the reserved dates for large groups. If a member camps there when a large group is coming in they will be asked to move. You must be a member to camp at the Club. Other than these reserved dates all members are welcome to camp in these areas. See Camping and Membership pages for more info.
To become a member please send membership dues and Contact Info (name, address, email, dues payments) to: WFSC, PO Box 52, Viroqua WI OR you may pay at the Green Pay Station (Iron Ranger) at the Campground. More info on Membership
- Annual- $15 (16.00 by Paypal) (Jan 1- Dec 31)
- Three Year- $30 (32.00 by PayPal) (12/31 of 3rd Calendar year)
- Lifetime- $250 ($258.00 by PayPal)
- Only one membership required per family with children under 18 years of age.
West Fork Sportsmans Club
S4901 CR-S, Viroqua, WI 54665, USA